History

 

Our Founder


/SchroderMortuary/founder.jpgFirst Mortuary was built by Warrren R. First in 1930. In 1945, Harvey and Beatrice Schroder took over ownership of First Mortuary which is now The Schroder Mortuary. While Harvey made arrangements, conducted funerals and ran the ambulance service, his wife Bea worked funerals and did office work. In addition to running the mortuary, Harvey was a volunteer firefighter for the City of Silvis

In the late 1960s Harvey's son Stephen and his wife Debbie joined the family business. With the death of Harvey in 1984, Steve and Debbie took over the daily operations of the mortuary. Steve followed in his father's footsteps and became a volunteer firefighter for the City of Silvis.

In 1995, Brian D. Hillyer joined the staff of Schroder Mortuary. In 2002, Brian took over ownership of the mortuary and continues the caring tradition that Harvey and Steve have shown the community for many years. As Harvey and Steve, Brian also was a volunteer firefighter for the City of Silvis.  

Fairman’s Mortuary was opened for business in 1958 by Wayne Fairman. His wife Dorothy was the receptionist and hostess. They made their home in the apartment above the funeral home. Wayne’s son Bill joined him in the business in 1968 after graduating from college and serving his apprenticeship under his father. Together they ran the funeral home and the ambulance service in Green Rock. The ambulance service ended in 1973 due to the cost required to keep the service going. Wayne passed away in 1978 after serving the Community for over 20 years.
  
In 1998 the funeral home was purchased and renamed Family Funeral Services by Dwight Swartz Sr. In 2008 Brian Hillyer (owner of Schroder Mortuary in Silvis) purchased the funeral home and renamed it Schroder Mortuary.